Healthy Futures is partnering with Skinny Raven Sports to offer special opportunities for Healthy Futures challenge participants this spring–Marathon March and the Superhero Showdown.
Students who run a marathon (26.2 miles) in the month of March and log their miles on their Healthy Futures log will be eligible for extra prizes! Teachers with high rates of participation are also eligible for prizes. Here’s how it works:
- Logging miles: This log has an extra box where students can log the number of miles they run each day. At the end of the month, the challenge coordinator for each school will check the “Marathon March” box in the database next to each student who has logged 26 miles. This box is in addition to the box you will check for each student who logged 15 days of 60 minutes of activity.
- Student Prizes: Those who complete Marathon March will be entered in a drawing for running shoes from Skinny Raven Sports! They’ll also receive an exclusive Skinny Raven/Healthy Futures marathon bumper sticker (shown below).
- Coordinator Prizes: The Healthy Futures Challenge coordinators with the three highest rates of student participation in Marathon March will receive free running shoes from Skinny Raven Sports!
- Resources for measuring miles: Students not sure how to measure a mile? Here are some ideas for them
- Use a mobile application like MapMyRun or Strava
- Map your route on a website like www.mapmyrun.com
- Use an odometer on a vehicle to measure route
- About 20 laps around a standard high school basketball court (84’x50′)
- The length of 17 football fields
- 4 laps around a standard running track
- 15 straight blocks in Downtown Anchorage
- 3.75 laps around a block in Anchorage
- The entire length of the Delaney Park strip
- Superhero Showdown: students who complete Marathon March and attend the Skinny Raven Superhero Showdown on April 9th will receive a Skinny Raven/Healthy Futures t-shirt.
Skinny Raven Sports is hosting this festive 5k and kids 1.3k run on April 9th. Get out your best Superhero costume and join us! As part of your students’ participation in Marathon March, he/she is entitled to a special $10 rate for the Superhero Showdown. This rate does not include an event t-shirt, but it does include a finisher medal and a Healthy Futures/Skinny Raven shirt for those who complete both Marathon March and the Superhero Showdown. You’ll also have the option to donate to Healthy Futures when you register for the Superhero Showdown, and Skinny Raven will match donations up to $1000.
Where: Starts on Dr. Martin Luther King Drive just north of the Chuck Albrecht softball fields and finishes in the softball field parking lot. For more information on parking and the course, click here.
When: Saturday, April 9th at 10:00am
Registration: Register here.
To get the discounted rate, select the HealthyFutures MarathonMarch registration option for either the 1.3K or the 5K and enter the code MM2016 when prompted for a discount code. Be sure to select your school team from the list so we can reward the school with the best percentage of participation.
- Wednesday, April 6th – 4:30pm-6:30pm Downtown Skinny Raven
- Thursday, April 7th – 4:30pm-6:30pm Downtown Skinny Raven
- Saturday, April 9th – 8:30am-9:30am Chuck Albrecht Fields Parking Lot
More Information: Visit the Skinny Raven Superhero Showdown website for details about the race course, parking, bib pick-up, after race party, and more.